Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I’m not scared of Americans, Jamaicans –Okagbare

Nigerian sprinter Blessing Okagbare believes she can
upset the pecking order at the Olympics and
outshine her 100m rivals from Jamaica and the
United States.
The 23-year-old has hit form at the right time,
dipping under 11 seconds twice this month to record
victories at both the London and Monaco Diamond
League events against her fellow competitors for
sprint gold.
At Crystal Palace earlier this month, Okagbare scored
a surprise win over defending Olympic champion
Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica and reigning
world champion Carmelita Jeter.
She then followed that up with victory in Monaco,
clocking a season's best 10.96sec. Although her
rivals from Jamaica and the United States remain the
bookmakers' favourites, Okagbare says she is
unfazed by the prospect of lining up against them in
London.
"You race with them from day to day. It's not any
different at the Olympic Games," she told AFP.
"They are not threats to me. When I went to Beijing, I
was 19 and I got the bronze medal. This year it feels
different."
The Delta State-born athlete had a below par
performance at the recent African Athletics
Championships in Porto Novo, Benin Republic, losing
her African 100m title to little-known Gabonese
sprinter Ruddy Milama.
But her fantastic outing in Crystal Palace and Monaco
has again made her one of the favourites in the
women's 100m in London.
Okagbare, a bronze medallist in the long jump in
Beijing four years ago, now has genuine belief she
can add a medal in the 100m in London.
"My recent win in Monaco has boosted my
confidence," Okagbare said. "I think I'm ready to face
the world. I'm just going to go out and do my best.
"I'm aiming for a top three overall. If I get the gold,
I'll take it. Whatever happens I will accept my fate."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading this article. If you enjoyed it, please click any of the buttons above to share it. You can also make your comment below.