Sunday, December 30, 2012
The pump price of premium motor spirit (PMS) will not be increased in January, the Acting Group General Manager, Public Affairs of the NNPC, Mr Fidel Pepple, has assured. He gave the assurance on Sunday in Abuja while speaking with newsmen, restating that the Federal Government had earmarked some money for fuel subsidy in the 2013 budget. Pepple also announced that the vandalised Ije-Ododo and Arepo pipelines in Lagos and Ogun had been restored. “I can affirm to you that our engineers from the Pipelines and Products Marketing Company Ltd. (PPMC), have finally fixed the Ije-Ododo pipeline that was ruptured last Monday by pipeline vandals. "Going forward, the good news for Nigerians is that we have resumed pumping petroleum products through the pipeline and system 2B is equally working after the restoration of the pipeline," he said. Pepple assured motorists that with the restoration of the Ije-Ododo pipeline and the NNPC system 2B pipeline, normalcy had been restored in the supply and distribution of petroleum products across the country.
The Commissioner of Police, Malam Umar Manko, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos that no fewer than 13 people were injured, four were still receiving treatment, and 12 houses were burnt.
NAN reports that the fire, which an eyewitness said started at about 9:00 am was caused by bangers that were packed in a shop in Folawiyo House, located at No. 45, Ojogiwa St., Idumota. However, NAN gathered that the police at the Area A Command, Lagos Island, have embarked on seizure of firecrackers from hawkers and users within the area.
NAN's investigation shows that the importers and some dealers in the firecrackers were on the run after the fire incident.
Check back on the post to see picture of the child when we get it.
Saturday, December 29, 2012
On the new song, the Nnamdi Azikiwe University graduate exudes great confidence, wit and versatility by
blending "Kwaito tune" into the song
With a grovy beat, nice flow, catchy hook, this song is set to hit!!!
``Even with the queue, the prices were just too high," Owolabi said.
The school district declined to comment on the lawsuit while it is pending, but said, ``We have an obligation to expand high quality school options to all families and children in every neighborhood and turnarounds is just one tool that allows us to provide those options.’’
Friday, December 28, 2012
Thursday, December 27, 2012
Ngozi Nwosu is dying. She has lost it all; weight, strength and vigor but not her talent and deep sense of humor . Sources handling the campaign say that about N1.5million has been realized at the moment which is still N4.5million less of the N6million needed to save Ngozi’s life.
Lets Join Hands Together and save Ngozi’s Life.
Bank Name: GT Bank
Acct Name: Ngozi Nwosu
Bank Acct No: 0052851673
God Bless Y’all !
Boxing Day Tragedy: One dies, 40 injured, 10 houses burnt, 7 cars destroyed as Fire Crackers wreak havoc in Lagos.
The South West information officer of the National Emergency Management Agency, (NEMA), Mr. Ibrahim Farinloye, confirmed that one unidentified person was burnt to death by the raging fire.
He said: "The body has been deposited at the Lagos State General Hospital on the Island."
He also said that 40 persons were injured, with five sustaining severe injuries, adding "they have been referred to their personal hospitals based on their demands."
Vanguard gathered that few minutes after the explosion occurred, some of the residents ran helter skelter, following fears that a plane had crashed.
The building located at 45 Ojo Giwa Street, went up in flames at 9:30 am, destroying nine other buildings within 60 metres radius.
The fire also razed over seven vehicles, including those with Number Plates: PK 788 KJA, LG 140 LSR, CG 190 APP. They were parked on the street by the traders and their customers.
I prefer to be dead – affected trader
According to Mr. Hilary Oduegwu, a trader whose office was burnt; "I prefer to be dead by now because I do not know what to do. My business is gone. How do I start again?"
According to him, "I am confused at this time. I have lost everything in my office. I was unable to remove any of my goods worth over N3.5 million.
"I am the breadwinner of my family. I couldn't go home for the festival because I had to settle some issues. So I told my siblings to leave while I stay back and make more money."
Speaking on how the explosion occurred, Oduegwu said: "I arrived here at about 10:00 am and I discovered that my office had been razed by fire."
Mr. Henry Awaroye, another trader who deals in electrical appliances, explained: "I arrived at the office this morning at about 8:30 am and began to display my goods at 2, Okoya Street.
"But few minutes after, I heard a loud bang. Immediately, I ran out of my office to know what was happening. When I got outside, I discovered that people were running and a thick smoke had enveloped the area.
"While I was still busy investigating what may have led to the explosion, I didn't know that my office has also been affected by the explosion."
About 40 persons reportedly sustained various degrees of injuries in the resultant stampede.
The raging fire said to have defied efforts of fire fighters, spread to other buildings, with the occupants scampering in different directions for safety.
The affected buildings had stores, majority of which were closed for the Christmas celebration and residential apartments. Also affected was King Ado Senior /Junior school.
Most of the traders who were contacted on phone rushedto the scene in an attempt to salvage some of their goods. Unfortunately, it was the charred remains they met.
One of them who identified himself as Mufutau Ajade, an electronics dealer, could not utter a word when Vanguard approached him at first. But when he summoned courage to speak, he said, "it is so painful that this is happening to me now. When I was informed, I took a cab and rushed down to see if I could salvage some of my electronics. But as you can see, they are all gone. I can not quantify what I lost in the fire. It is worth several millions of Naira. This is not a good way to start the coming new year. It means I have to start life all over again", he lamented.
I borrowed my capital – Victim
A woman, simply identified as Mrs Gboyega, was seen wailing and rolling on the ground. Speaking in Yoruba, she said the money she used to stockpile her shop for the Christmas was borrowed with a promise to pay the lender at the end of January 2013.
Another trader, Ndubuisi Okafor said: "I just started my own business this December. I had to borrow the sum of N3.5 million to start this electronics business just two weeks ago, only for every thing to go down the drain just like that".
It was discovered that aside the goods that were destroyed by the fire, cash was also destroyed as some of the traders reportedly had in-built safes in their shops. Some of the affected traders were discovered to have traveled to their home states for the Christmas celebration.
Rescue teams such as policemen, officials of the National Emergency Management Agency NEMA, LASEMA, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Federal and state fire services, Red Cross among others were sighted at the scene.
Affected buildings to be pulled down
Already, the two-storey building where the fire started, had been brought down completely. General Manager of LASEMA, Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, who was at the scene, disclosed that all affected buildings would be completely brought down. Asked whether there were plans to compensate occupants of the affected buildings, he said there were no plans for that yet, until investigation into the cause of the fire was concluded. The affected buildings included numbers 43, 45, 47, 49 Ojogiwa Street and others which numbers could not be immediately ascertained because of the manner they were numbered.
The Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasaq Fadipe told Vanguard that effort to contain the fire started at about 10am.
Spokes person of the Lagos State Police Command, Ngozi Braide who was also at the scene, described the incident as one that could have been prevented, had report on the sale of fireworks at the warehouse been reported to the Police.
Stop this dangerous business, Fashola warns residents
Speaking on the incident, Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State appealed to the residents to desist from the dangerous business, saying "the consequences are more than the gain."
Fashola recalled that few months ago, he urged the residents to desist from storing inflammable materials in their homes, because the dry season has commenced.
"But they have failed to listen to our appeals. We know that people have the right in a democratic government to decide whatever they wish to do but they can only embark on such act when it is not injurious to others.
"The government cannot be everywhere; all that the government could do is to appeal to the residents to desist from such business of storing these inflammables in our homes."
According to him: "Two weeks ago, the state fire service responded to over 22 fire cases. We can reduce such statistics but government cannot commence door-to-door check to know who have stored any inflammable materials in their homes."
Culled from Vanguard Nig.
Safety Corps, Mr. Christopher Ademoluti, on
Wednesday said the FRSC had put the minimum
age of commercial drivers in Nigeria at 26.
Speaking during the inauguration of the
commercial driving licence in Ilorin, Ademoluti
also said underage commercial drivers were
responsible for some of the road crashes in the
He said, "We want to put the minimum age of a
commercial driver in Nigeria at 26 to enable them
to have the experience, maturity and expertise to
drive and convey people, unlike the current
system where we have underage people driving
"With the new driving licence, we want to have all
the data of the commercial drivers.
"We don't want to have a driver who drives 18-
seater bus to endanger the lives of the 18 people.
It is only one commercial driver that dies where
18 people die."
He stated that the upgraded National Drivers
Licence would help reduce accidents.
Monday, December 24, 2012
Saturday, December 22, 2012
The Commissioner of Police in charge of the FCT, Mr Aderenle Shinaba, who led the operation, said the suspects violated the ban on operating in the metropolis.
Shinaba said that 50 of the operators were arrested at Area 1, while 10 were picked up at AYA roundabout in Asokoro.
The commissioner said the raid was part of efforts to rid the city of hoodlums and criminals during the yuletide.
He also said that it was part of efforts to ensure a crime-free Christmas and New Year celebrations.
``It is our mandate to ensure that residents of the territory have crime-free Christmas,’’ he said.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the Federal Capital Territory Administration banned commercial motorcyclists from operating in the city centre, limiting them to the satellite towns. (NAN)
Friday, December 21, 2012
Thursday, December 20, 2012
Award winning Ghanaian-born UK act, Lethal Bizzle will headline this year’s edition of the Ghana Rocks Concert, scheduled to take place at the Dome of the Accra International Conference Centre on 27 December.
Born Maxwell Ansah, Lethal Bizzle mixes a variety of urban music styles and has over the years earned a huge fan base in the UK.
This is the second time that Bizzle is headlining the annual concert. He first rocked the show in 2009.
He will perform alongside FUSE ODG and Nigerian sensation, Davido.
The three acts will be joined by a host of other local acts including VIP, for what is expected to be an assemblage of the best from the United Kingdom and Ghana.
The Ghana Rocks concert is an annual event organized by Charterhouse Ghana and Akwaaba UK.
Gov. Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State has urged individuals, clubs and corporate bodies to partner with the government in the provision of social amenities that could aid quality education.
He made the call on Wednesday at the formal commissioning of Dr Lucas Memorial High School’s Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Centre, built by Techno Oil Limited in Lagos.
The governor, who was represented by Mr Wale Akanni, his Special Adviser on State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), said such partnership was very necessary.
Students in the FCT in 2012 scored 38.39 per cent credit pass in five WASCE subjects, including English and Mathematics, the FCT Education Secretary, Alhaji Kabir Usman, has said.
He disclosed this on Wednesday in Abuja at the 2012 Education Media Luncheon, saying FCT students had improved when compared with the 2011 result of 20.42 per cent credit pass.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that WAEC conducts the West African School Certificate Examinations (WASCE).
Usman attributed the improvement to employment of more teachers in the relevant subjects and ensuring that teachers put in more efforts for the success of their students.
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Nkiru, who was kidnapped alongside two others, was waylaid and abducted by the gunmen between Concorde Hotel and Cathedral Road, Owerri.
The incident occurred when the actress, who had a misunderstanding with some crew members on the movie location, decided to take her leave in annoyance.
"Yes, she had a minor misunderstanding with someone on location, so she decided to leave. She had barely driven more than 100 metres from the location when the gunmen blocked her car and took her away," a source in the Actors' Guild of Nigeria, AGN, who craved anonymity, told P.M.NEWS this morning.
The kidnappers would later demand N100 million ransom before Nkiru, popularly known for playing 'weeping' roles in movies, would be released.
National President, AGN, Ibinabo Fiberesima, while speaking with our reporter this morning, said there are some issues on the kidnap saga she would not want to disclose on phone, but said the Guild was making efforts to secure Nkiru's release.
"She is one of us, so there is definitely no way we would fold our arms when she is in trouble. We are making some moves, and I know that she will be freed unhurt by the grace of God. Her safety is very important to us.
"There are some things I will not want to say on phone right now, but Nkiru's safety is our priority at this point in time. Let's keep praying for her," Ibinabo stated.
General Secretary of the Guild, Abubakar Yakub, described the abduction of Nkiru as an unfortunate incident and a further indication that the security of the country is in jeopardy.
"It is unfortunate that an entertainer, who makes a lot of people happy is the target of these kidnappers. Besides, it is sad that as a serving government official, Nkiru was kidnapped in that manner. It is high time the government found a lasting solution to our security problems," Yakub stated.
Nkiru Sylvanus took the movie industry by storm with her exemplary performance in A Cry for Help.
She is not the first thespian to be kidnapped. Actors like Pete Edochie, Nkem Owoh and John Okafor, a.k.a. Mr. Ibu, had also been kidnapped at one time or the other. Mr. Ibu's son, Mandela (now deceased), was also kidnapped alongside his mother some years back.
THE Federal Government has declared Tuesday, December 25 and Wednesday, December 26, as public holidays, to commemorate Christmas and Boxing Day.
Similarly, Tuesday, January 1, 2013 has been declared as public holiday, to mark the New Year.
Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, made the declaration on behalf of the government in a statement in Abuja, on Monday.
Monday, December 17, 2012
Yero made this known in an interview with newsmen at the Government House shortly after a broadcast to the people of the state.
In the broadcast, the governor declared Monday, December 17 as work free day and a seven day mourning period in honour of the deceased, beginning from Sunday.
According to him, the remains of the late governor and the other victim, Mr Dauda Tsoho would be received in Kaduna on Monday.
"Details of necessary arrangements for their internment would be made known in due course.
"During the period of mourning, all national flags in the state should be flown at half staff,'' he said.
He directed all the 23 local government chairmen in the state to open condolence registers at their various offices, adding that two have been opened at the Government House and the Hassan Usman Katsina House.
Yero described the late governor as a humble, dedicated and fair person, who always related well with people, irrespective of religious, tribal or sectional inclinations.
" I plead with citizens of Kaduna State to accept this sad situation, that we cannot change, with total submission to the Will of God,'' he said.
He reiterated his commitment towards continuing with the legacies of his predecessor.
Reports said her abductors are demanding N100 million ransom.
Ladies appear now to be the soft targets of the kidnapping industry.
In the last week, two other women were kidnapped. First was Professor Kamene Okonjo, the retired sociology professor and mother of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria's minister of finance. A day after, in Ibadan, Titilayo, wife of Brig.General Oluwole Rotimi was also kidnapped. Though Okonjo had been released, the whereabouts of Mrs Oluwole Rotimi, remains unknown.
Sunday, December 16, 2012